Skip to main content

Posts

Search the Collection / Indexes


https://remembering-the-past-australia.blogspot.com.au/p/blog-page_26.html

Family History - Useful Links


https://remembering-the-past-australia.blogspot.com.au/p/family-history.html
Ancestry - 14 Days Free

Latest Addition

The Hobart Town Gazette - February 24, 1827

The Hobart Town Gazette Saturday, February 24, 1827 Volume XII. Number 564.

GOVERNMENT ORDER Colonial Secretary's Office, Feb. 19, 1827.
His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor has been pleased to make the following appointments:-
Major Tobias Kirkwood, 40th Regiment, to be Commandant of the Field Police.
Major Richard Turton, to act as Engineer.
By His Excellency's Command, John Burnett.
GOVERNMENT NOTICE Colonial Secretary's Office, Feb. 19, 1827.
His Excellency the Lieutenant Governor has been pleased to appoint Tobias Kirkwood, Esquire, Major in His Majesty's 40th Regiment, to be Justice of the Peace for the Island of Van Diemen's Land and its Dependencies,
By His Excellency's Command, John Burnett.
GOVERNMENT NOTICE Colonial Secretary's Office, Feb. 23, 1827.
The Period for which the undermentioned Person were transported having expired, Certificates have been issued accordingly.
Henry Norwood - Caledonia (1) William Holding - Maria Robert Walters - Guildford (4) Thoma…
Recent posts

Government House, Parramatta 1826

Vue De La Maison Du Gouverneur, A Parramatta 1826 Book: Voyage autour du monde ... de ... l'Uranie .. atlas historique

Port-Jackson, Vue De La Maison Du Gouverneur, A Parramatta 1826; Pierre Antoine Marchais 1763-1859, artist.; Louis Claude Desaulses de Freycinet d1779-1842; Voyage autour du monde ... de ... l'Uranie .. atlas historique / Louis-Claude Freycinet. Paris : Chez Phillet Acinbe, Imprimeur-Libraire, 1824-1839; Copper Plates; Courtesy State Library of Victoria

Queensland - Sale of Swamp Land in Drayton - 11th November 1853

DRAYTON.
The following is an account of the Government Sale of Land, at the swamp, sold by auction at the Police Office, Drayton, on the 11th November 1853.
Upset price of each lot, £8 per acre.
Allotment/ Sec. Purchaser / Per Acre / Amount
1 of 4 - A. Hodgson - 130s - £13 0 0

2 of 4 - A. Hodgson - 200s - £20 0 0
3 of 4 - C. W. Pitts - £120s - 14 0 0
4 of 4 - C. W. Pitts - 130s - £13 0 0
5 of 4 - J. Taylor - 130s - £13 0 0
6 of 4 - T. Ginn - 165s - £16 10 0
7 of 4 - R. C. Bagot - 150s - £15 0 0
8 of 4 - A. Hodgson - 220s - £22 0 0
9 of 4 - W. Horton - 400s - £40 0 0
10 of 4 - C. Underwood - 200s - £20 0 0
1 of 5 - W. Handcock - 220s - £22 0 0
2 of 5 - W. Horton - 240s - £29 17 1
3 of 5 - J. Bell - 170s - £14 9 0
4 of 5 - T. Price - 180s - £14 5 0
5 of 5 Left as a reserve from Ruthvan-street to a waterhole
6 of 5 - T. Price - 240s - £16 4 0
7 of 5 - C. Pottinger - 240s - £15 12 0
8 of 5 - J. Bell - 200s - £12 6 6
9 of 5 - D. Barry - 260s - £20 16 0
1 of 6 - R. C. Bagot - 170s - £7 13 0

Darling Harbour, Cockle Bay, Sydney 1835

Robert Russell (1808-1900), surveyor, architect and artist, was born on 13 February 1808 near Kennington Common, London. He arrived in Sydney in the Sir John Rae Reid on 24 September 1833 with letters of introduction to (Sir) Thomas Mitchell. He was appointed to the Survey Department as acting assistant to the town surveyor on 22 October, much of his work being concerned with crown land grants.  On 10th September 1836 Russell was appointed surveyor to the infant settlement at Port Phillip and he arrived in the area on 5th October 1836; Robert Hoddle superseded him in 1837; the only documentable work remaining of his is St James's Old Cathedral, built basically under his supervision in 1839-42; he married Mary Ann Collis Smith in 1839; Russell's last home was a cottage at 283 Burnley Street, Richmond, where he died on 10 April 1900; he was buried in the Melbourne general cemetery. 
Darling Harbour, Cockle Bay, Sydney 1835; Robert Russell 1808-1900; Courtesy State Library of Vic…

Portion of Melbourne from near the corner of Bourke and William Streets October 1844

* Pen and Ink Drawing; Inscriptions in black ink on drawing marking locations: Built by J. P. Fawkner, The Union Bank / McLagan Architect, Built by C. H. Ebdern and now the offices of Messrs. King[?], Char[?] & Dixon, Built by J. P. Fawkner

Portion of Melbourne from near the corner of Bourke and William Streets October 1844; Robert Russell 1808-1900; Courtesy State Library of Victoria



Victoria - Application for Occupation Licences - 11 February 1846

OCCUPATION LICENCES.
Commissioner of Crown Land's Office
Feb. 11, 1846
The following persons have made application for Occupation Licences.
John Chambers. — On the River Murray.
Andrew Harriot. — On the Bremer.
W. J. and J. H. Browne. — To the westward of Mount Bryan Range.
J. H. Angas. — North and east of the Rhine and Gawler Surveys.
C. and J. Williams. — The River Murray above Moorunde.
William Keynes. — 1. On the North Rhine. 2. The White Hut Station.
William Robinson. — 1. The Hill River. 2. West of Mr Horrocks's stockyard.
Henry Evans. — 1. The Murray Scrub Range. 2. The same.
W. W. Hughes. — The Hummock Range and Broughton Plains.
Stephen King. — 1. The Hermitage. 2. North Para Plains.
James Stein. — 1. Surrounding the Wakefield Survey. 2. Burra Creek, adjoining the south and west sides of the Princess-Royal Mine.
James Dewhurst. - The Downs, Port Lincoln.
Price Maurice. — 1. Head of the Gilbert. 2. On the Gawler Plains. 3. Bottom of the Light.
Ed. C. Stirling. — 1. Country around Moun…
Ancestry - 14 Days Free

Disclaimer

Members of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander communities are advised that this site contains names of deceased people. Users should also be aware that certain words, terms or descriptions may be culturally sensitive and may be considered inappropriate today, but may have reflected the author's attitude or that of the period in which they were written.