Skip to main content

William Ewart Hart - One of Australia's First Aviators

William Ewart Hart, First Australian Aviator, Born Parramatta, NSW, April 20, 1885
William Ewart Hart, First Australian Aviator,
Born Parramatta, NSW, April 20, 1885





The following article appeared in The Sydney Morning Herald on 4th November 1811, the day after his successful flight from Penrith to Parramatta:—

Yesterday morning Mr. W. Hart, Jun. (son of Mr. W. Hart, of Davey-street, Parramatta), flew in his aeroplane to Parramatta from Penrith.

Mr. Hart has been in Penrith for some weeks, making preparations for this aerial trip. At first he had bad luck, for a storm wrecked his machine, and he had practically to rebuild It. He made the whole of the woodwork himself. Mr. Hart, who is a dentist by profession, learnt the art of aviation from Mr. McDonald, from whom he purchased the machine, a Bristol aeroplane. The trip from Penrith to Parramatta occupied 19 minutes, and the distance flown was estimated at 19 miles. Earlier in the morning Mr. Hart made three trips from Penrith, in the direction of the Mountains, each trip being about 15 miles, and on each occasion he took a passenger with him. Then came the trip to Parramatta, when Mr. Hart took his brother with him. A beautiful descent was made in the Parramatta Park.

After breakfast Mr. Hart essayed to make the return trip. The wind was then getting up, and the aviator decided to return alone. Leaving the part Mr. Hart soon found the wind altogether too tricky, and as the machine was commencing to play pranks he took advantage of a nice clear paddock at Seven Hills, where he made a good descent. He secured his machine, and it is to remain there till favourable weather conditions allow of a return trip.

Seen after the flight, Mr. Hart said: "I went up for my second flight all alone this morning. Mr. M'Donald, my instructor, having been called away to England, I was practically left to my own resources. Yesterday I made a couple of little flights at Penrith, and this morning I made three trips, two of them with passengers on board. Then it occurred to me to take a trip to Parramatta, my native town, and have breakfast with my father. I took my brother Jack as a passenger, and making a good ascent at about a quarter to 7 I reached Parramatta in less than 20 minutes. I flew at the rate of 60 miles an hour, and reached an altitude of about 3000ft. My brother, who accompanied me, is only 46 years of age.

"At North Rocks, as we were circling round, we met a nasty wind, and the machine rocked and dived very much-like a cork in a gale. At times she stood right on her-tail, and then she would swoop down like a tumbler pigeon, and drop twenty yards without the least warning. However, after flying over the gaol we headed for Parramatta Park, where we made a splendid landing. I then went and had breakfast with my father, and, after breakfast I thought I would do a circle or two of my native town.

"I made a good ascent, and the machine flew like a bird, shooting along for about 200 yards, a few feet above the ground. Then I let her go up, in order to avoid the tree-tops at Westmead. On getting over the trees I found the current very choppy, and the machine started to rock like a cradle. I thought it best to abandon my idea of circling round the town, and keep on my way to Penrith. The wind is what is called a following wind, and it kept bearing the machine towards the ground. I was alone on this trip. I did not care to take my brother with me, knowing that the wind was very tricky, "On approaching Seven Hills the weather did not improve, and, as this was only my second trip alone, I did not think it wise to run any undue risk, so I decided to descend.

There was a nice clear paddock handy, and into this I dropped, and pulled up safe and sound. After waiting for a while, I saw that the wind was getting even more gusty, so I gave up the idea of continuing any further that day. I roped the machine down securely, and will await more favourable conditions before I complete the return trip." Mr. Hart is 26 years of age, and he can lay claim to being the first Australian who has made a successful flight unaided and unattended.

View Originals:

A Good Flight. (1911, November 4). The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842 - 1954), p. 21.

The Jubilee History of Parramatta: In Commemoration of the First Half-Century of Municipal Government 1861-1911; Edited by J. Cheyne Wharton; Parramatta, New South Wales; 1911


Affiliate Advertisements:


Follow Remembering the Past Australia

Popular Articles

The First Stone Bridge Built in NSW - Road from Emu Plains, Over the Blue Mountains

*From: Sketches in Australia [1848]
This series consisted of 18 tinted lithographs issued in three parts - each part comprising 6 lithographs, and enclosed in buff coloured covers. Unsold copies were reissued in book form in 1852.
8. Road from Emu Plains, Over the Blue Mountains. The First Stone Bridge built in New South Wales.
Lithograph 21 x 25.4cm.Cream tint. The bridge, known as Horseshoe Bridge on Mitchell's Pass, near present-day Lapstone, was the first constructed by David Lennox, the famous colonial bridge builder. It was completed in 1833 and the original view for this lithograph was probably taken during the final stages of construction. Note the convict labourers and road gang at work on the bridge surrounds. Richard Bourke took special pride in the constructions of Lennox during his period of governorship. Reproduced: Spiers, p.49. Letterpress text:
This view, intended to represent part of a Road over the Blue Mountai…

List of Towns and Stations in New South Wales in 1832

A List of Towns and Stations

Arranged alphabetically, stating the County and the Distance in Miles from Sydney. Appin, At King’s Falls, where the road to Illawarra crosses the Georges’s River, called in the neighbourhood Tuggerah Creek, Cumberland, 45 miles.

Arthursleigh, on the Wollondilly, near Eden Forest, Argyle, 100 miles.

Bamballa, On the road to St. Vincent and Lake Bathurst, Camden, 101 miles.

Barber’s Station, On the Road to Lake Bathurst, Argyle, 107 miles.

Bargo Rivulet, Crosses the Road to Camden, 53 miles.

Bateman Bay
, On the Coast to the Southward, St. Vincent, 166 miles.

Bathurst Flag Staff, At the Township, Bathurst, 126 miles.

Bathurst Lake, At the Village Reserve, Argyle, 142 miles.

Best’s Inn, On the Road to Wiseman’s, Cumberland, 29 miles.

Bilong, On the Goulburn River, unnamed, 175 miles.

Bird’s Eye Corner, Ford over the Nepean River at Menangle, Cumberland, 38 miles.

Black Bob’s Creek, At the crossing on the Road to Goulburn, Camden, 86 ½ miles.

Black Head, A Point on the Se…

NSW Return of All Convicts Assigned Between the 1st January and 31st March, 1832 - Part I - A-C

Part I.

NSW Return of All Convicts Assigned Between the 1st January and 31st March, 1832 - Part I - A-C
NSW Return of All Convicts Assigned Between the 1st January and 31st March, 1832 - Part II - D-H
NSW Return of All Convicts Assigned Between the 1st of January and 31st March, 1832 - Part III - J-N
NSW Return of All Convicts Assigned Between the 1st January and 31st March, 1832 - Part IV - O-S
NSW Return of All Convicts Assigned Between the 1st January and 31st March, 1832 - Part V - T-Y
Note.—Those marked * have been re-assigned, the first Assignees having either refused or neglected to send for them.
1. ATKINS James, Morley, wheelwright, to E. C. Close, Hunter's River

2. Aschcroft Edward, Royal Admiral, stonecutter, to Robert Cooper, Sydney

3. Abernethy William, Norfolk (2), ropemaker, to Jacob Wyer, Sydney

4. Anderson John, Speke, shoemaker, to John M'Donald, Pitt Town